The Magical, Magnificent Aboriginal Music Making Machine

I’m feeling pretty sore tonight.

I was at Aaron’s house most of the weekend to assist with the sprinkler trench. This job is turning out to be a lot bigger than either of us thought it would be. Yesterday, we ran into problems with compacted soil and thick clay.

We started the day off yesterday by breaking the handle on his transfer shovel. It was fiberglass, so we just went to Wal-Mart to grab one with a wooden handle. We also ran a couple of my errands while we were out. When we got back, it was already past 10 and he had a BBQ to go to at 2, so we knew we wouldn’t finish.

Also, I got a phone call from someone very important to me and I didn’t want to put off the talk we had. This is a topic I’m not going to cover in great detail because it has been an unhappy story for the last few months. Just the same, I feel a lot more hopeful now. When you discover that only one thing in life really matters to you and that one thing is gone from your life, you don’t have a lot of joy. I found some of that joy again when she said a few words as we were hanging up. That’s all I have to say about that.

Today, I went back for round 2 around 8 am. By 9:30, we’d broken the manifold and needed to go to Lowe’s for replacement parts. While we were there, I bought 4 new rose bushes. When we got back, he rebuilt the manifold, I planted the rose bushes, then I went back to his place. We tested the pressure, found one leak in the manifold (he’s going to seal it with JB Weld, i think) and then filled in the trench.

So that is about 20% of the trench for his whole yard. Hooray.

While we were assembling the pipes in the trench, I played around with a couple of lengths of PVC and found they, like any other tube, hit different notes depending on their length. I had a running gag for half an hour that I was going to bind 10 or 12 different lengths of PVC into one gigantic Pan flute and call it the Aboriginal Music Machine. At the time, I thought it was funny, but now? Not so much. I still will likely build it, though, because it would be pretty funny to see a giant sized Pan flute.

After dinner, I took out the garbage and watered the rose bushes again. I’m sore as hell from all the work this weekend, but it is a good feeling. I’m also glad I got the rose bushes, even though I still plan to fill the back yard with clones of my “Shauna” rose bush.

I’m still walking 3 miles every morning and riding 10 miles most nights. Last night and tonight, i skipped the bike rides, mainly because I did far more exercising while digging trenches. I hope I get up at my regular time tomorrow so I can walk on schedule. Regardless, I’m going to sleep like a fat baby tonight.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: